Monday, December 24, 2007

The Christmas Run-Around

Thursday: Lunchtime: Buy turkey. Finish work: Head home, do and check a few bits before dashing out to town to pick up a few bits and bobs.

Friday: Day off. Hoped to have time to blog, but didn't have the time between making some things and wrapping others. Well, and some of the things that I made. Friday evening: Off with Quna to her place, about 2.5 hours away, where she had wanted to hop once more before Christmas.

Saturday: Head another couple of hours north to see Quna's grandad, parents, and sister. On our way home, a policecar sped past us - as it was roughly Ing's patch, we wondered if it could have been him :) It was then roughly four hours back down south to see my parents, where we stopped for the night.

Sunday: We were in the car for 10:05 so that Quna would be able to listen to The Archers (She's so Radio 4! :) ) - myself, Quna, my sister, and a big pile of pressies. For I am having all of those at my home for Christmas :) The drive back to mine to slightly longer than usual - 3.5 hours, rather than the more usual 1.5 hours.
My sister and I hopped out to Tesco while Quna went up to Waitrose. She didn't want to have to worry about me taking my time, or screaming children running around. As it happens, we actually did encounter a screaming child - she'd lost her mummy. Awhhhhh :( I asked if she was ok and looked up a couple of aisles to see if I could see anyone dashing around but not looking at food, but the girl was more content at running around shouting, and seemed to meet up with some other children after a short time. We managed to pick up what we wanted though, as well as a couple of ingredients that Quna couldn't find in Waitrose - she wanted to bake ginger muffins, phwoooar :)

Then it was back to mine, via a Majestic Wine Warehouse that is just around the corner from me. Quna walked over to meet us there. We had a good wander around and chose eleven bottles of wine between us (you have to buy it in twelves, but I figure it's nice to be 'forced' to buy so many as it means I don't keep buying the same things or something :) )
The twelth bottle was a bottle of champagne that Quna had wanted. She found Waitrose didn't do it, so had then phoned the wine place to check that they had one, and what price it was - £17, they told her.

It turns out that £17 is the price for two (or more) bottles. So, how much would you think for just the one? £20? Perhaps £25? Keep going - £30.

Quna was not impressed, to put it lightly - it was now late enough that we now couldn't go anywhere else to look. Had they have told her that in the first place on the phone, we could have continued looking elsewhere first. Quna explained her frustration to the bloke behind the till, who then went and got his manager. Quna again explained her frustration to him (I think she didn't - quite - call them "cretins!"). The shop staff refused to help, so we chose a twelth bottle of wine instead and left, with Quna vowing never to use them again (it's a shame too - the last time [which was also the first time] we were in there, they were actually quite helpful), and complaining about the smug assistant as we walked out the door.

Fortunately, none of this prevented Quna from making a deliiiiicious chicken lasagne, or from baking yummy ginger muffins.

After we'd eaten, Quna and my sister shut themselves in my living room to complete something related to a Christmas present for me, while I shut myself in my spare room and tried to finish some things related to Christmas presents for both of them. Ok, so I didn't finish, but I did make good progress :) We stopped after a while to eat profiteroles, complete with generous lashings of chocolate :)

And today, Monday, Christmas Eve, my sister has my flat to herself, whilst Quna and I are both at work. Oh, speaking of which...

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been as busy as me - I'm supposed to be cleaning upstairs whilst the OH is doing downstairs ready for his family to arrive tomorrow, but I thought I'd have a little 'rest' before tackling the bathroom...

    Have a fabulous christmas sounds like you have it in hand...champagne is overrated...a fabulous fruity red wine is where it's at! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the best for Christmas & New Year. I'll have to report back from what is going to be a very interesting Christmas from my side of the law.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds manic, but you've all got it under control.

    Hope you all have a great Christmas, hopefully, see you soon.

    Hugs all round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah have a great Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope there was no repeat of the red wine incident! ;o)

    Happy New Year.



    Zeb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh god has he gone all happy and non-posting on us again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems that way. :o(

    A little morsel to keep us salivating and that's our lot.


    Zeb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'd think with all the quality time he's been having, that he'd find the time to drop the odd line for his blog.

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year!

    Hope you and yours have a brilliant 2008

    (and you manage to blog a bit more regularly)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year IM! Have fun! I'm with roses the new years resolution should be to blog a bit more - we miss you!

    NM x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year IM (but no kisses from me ... well ... OK ... but only for Quna!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What they said.

    Plus a Happy New Year from me too.




    Zeb.

    ReplyDelete