Thursday, January 11, 2007

It Snowed In 2005

Exactly one year before our wedding, boy, did it snow!

It was quite strange. The day before was just 'average' weather, the day after was 'average' weather and the snow was melting. But that day with exactly one year to go, it came out of nowhere and was inches thick!

It did make us wonder what the weather would be like on that same day one year later. As it happens, on that same day in 2006, it didn't snow. It was more than a little nippy, but there was a gloriously blue sky. We were lucky, it was a lovely day :)

I thought I'd make use of the time I had yesterday, particularly given the reasons I had ended up having it, so had decided to watch our wedding video to see if it 'forced' anything out.

Mostly, I watched it with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Not too far removed in some ways from how many would watch a wedding (Externally, I think that's how it would have appeared).

I even watched my speech. It was poor. Very poor.

I do not really like to be reminded of it. There are more silent gaps than there are words, and there are more "erms" than there are words. This is 'disappointing' and embarrassing in itself for me, however I think the real difficulty for me is considering the cause for this.

Because I think the reason is, the closer our wedding drew, the less I liked to think about it. The first time I did any genuine preparation for my speech was to make a few notes... Very late at night, on the final night before the wedding. People to thank, and some things to mention. Nothing structured, just notes.

I decided I'd get back to it a little more the next day. Believe it or not, things have a habit of being quite busy on your wedding day, and I never found that opportunity ;)

I figured I'd at least have a chance to review my notes during the meal or something... Until just before then I found out just before we sat down for it, that Mrs M's Dad wanted to do them before we ate. Ah.
Listening to... my Father-In-Law's speech, I decided to not even say half of what I had thought about the night before. His speech was quite short, and to the point, and I felt that I didn't want to ramble on. On the other hand, all the more reason to do so ;) Especially as my Best Man had managed to completely wangle his way out of making one ;)
So, I didn't get my notes out, and I tried to just say the thank yous.

It's embarrassing, it really is.

So, anyway, a bit of a mixed reaction as I watched the whole thing back - as you'd expect - but nothing strong.

Nothing to come close to what I went through the day before (i.e. Tuesday just gone), and that was so very random :)
I've already written the events of that day down, but I need to add some introductory ramble for the sake of my blog, and I may go back over what I wrote and do an 'analysis' of my thoughts too. Anyway, I'll try to do that later today, as that's what I'd wanted to get blogged up yesterday :)

1 comment:

  1. I still look at my wedding photos with a great deal of fondness. It might not have worked out, but it was a wonderful day and I still smile.

    I didn't have any doubts when I got married, and it still ended in tears.

    The point ~ you do the best you can for both involved, with good intentions, hold your hands up when you've made a mistake. Keep a clear eye on the life you want.

    ReplyDelete