Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Do you ever...

At some point late in the evening, I had noticed the stars as I gazed out of the window.

They were ever so bright, and there were ever so many.

I wondered about going for a walk, but was not quite in the mood.

By the time I contemplated going for a walk, it was gone 12. After mentally yo-yoing back-and-forth for a bit, I eventually decided that I wasn't ready for bed yet, and that yes, I would go for a walk.

The stars really were out in force! Dim ones, bright ones, twinkly ones. They were all there. I didn't notice any recognisable constellations though - I think someone had randomly rearranged them :)

I wasn't sure where I'd go... didn't fancy a long walk at this time... So set out the back way from my house, probably just to go around the block and back. That way, I could start by walking down the unlit footpath too, and really be able to see them :)
As I walked along the main road (which, not too strangely, wasn't all that busy at gone 12am of a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning), I decided I'd try to remember where the back entrance to the park was. Somewhere through the cricket ground. It was too dark to really see where I was walking, but I made it to where I wanted - the pond-that-looks-like-a-river that runs along the back of the cricket ground and park.

I knew it would be pretty there - the trees lining both side of the pond-with-the-identity-crisis strip out what little man-made light was reaching the back of the park/cricket ground.

lol, it is probably a wonder I did not fall into the pond-that-thinks-it's-a-river, as most of the time I was walking around with my head tipped back looking up at the sky.

It was nice there, ambling along side the river (well, it looks like one, and I got tired of specifying).

A few swans were floating on it - white headless lumps in the murky blackness. The treeline was reflected in the river. Occasionally, I caught a glimpse of a star or two being reflected back too, but for the most part they weren't quite bright enough. (Or I might have tried to grab a piccy on my phone :) )

A swan that was still awake made a funny noise (I thought it sounded slightly like a horse impression :-P). An owl begain terwit-terwoo'ing. A duck quacked.

I turned away from the riverpond and walked across the middle of the park. Four or five ducks flew straight over me, a couple sounded to be twittering, one quacked once or twice.

I probably looked like I was drunk as I walked across the park staring up at the sky - no sense of direction what-so-ever without looking where I was going ;) (On the plus side, there was nobody to see me - that's the advantage of going for a walk at such a silly time ;) )

The stars were so beautiful.

Do you ever find yourself just thinking about how amazing everything is? I love computers and technology... But when I am outside sometimes looking at it all, it can just take my breath away.

As I was stopping and staring and thinking, I remembered something I had been thinking about recently.

Someone once told me that everyone has a relationship with God. It's just about whether people choose to acknowledge that relationship.

I wonder, however, if it is possible to actively have a relationship with God without realising what it is. I wonder if that is why I struggle to see/want/acquire a Christian one; if on some level I already had one, so I was not "missing" it.

2 comments:

  1. "...most of the time I was walking around with my head tipped back looking up at the sky."

    Trying to picture that without laughing ;~)

    Sounded like the walk of a man with a lot on his mind.

    ReplyDelete