Monday, October 02, 2006

The Waiting Game

Rumour has it that as of today, our phoneline now appears to have been fixed (and actually fixed this time, as opposed to the "no bloody difference" last time they told us it was fixed - they even left the divert in place, clearly showing to my mind that they knew it wasn't fixed at all!), but ADSL is still dead.

BT engineers do worry me sometimes. I mean the first time I got a phoneline installed, not only did they have to replace the telegraph pole outside (taking out the phones for the entire road for a day), but when they then installed the line, there were FIVE major faults with the thing... Ranging from the socket having been wired up incorrectly, to problems at the exchange!

And when we got ADSL installed originally (some years ago before it was really popular - you had to have an engineer come to your house, rather than the "wires only" approach today), the night before installation, they managed to knock out the phoneline completely for some thirteen days. Cue three engineers turning up the next morning (each with their own van), each looking rather clueless.

So come on BT, pull your fingers out and sort it out :)

Meanwhile, I'm afraid I didn't get anything written this weekend. It's been a busy few weeks, and there's still quite a lot that I'd like to write about, if only for the sake of keeping my faithful followers fully.. formulated. Sorry, decided to take a run on the alliteration there ;)

I may try to get some more written today, but but but I notice I have missed a lot of IDF happenings (that's the Intel Developer Forum, but I bet you all already knew that ;) recently, so there's probably tons of exciting stuff to read about there ;)

No, really, there is! :) ... If you like that sort of thing. ;)

On a different (key?)note, we have our first joint Relate session tonight following on from the solo ones that we had. It's been a busy few weeks. We have a lot to talk about.

PS. I mean when you hear about silicon photonic interconnects doesn't it just sound like something made up for Star Trek? :) I mean, what does it mean!? :) Lasers built into computer chips!? Crazy stuff. What's next? Communicating with people all around the world without even leaving my desk? Oh... :)

4 comments:

  1. I used to have the same jaw-dropping moments with BT and now i seem to have them with NTL!

    "...keeping my faithful followers fully.. formulated.". Hrumph, no time for us *sniff*, lost you to the IDF have we?

    Seriously, hope all goes as you want it to this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane-yep NTL beggar belief don't they?!

    IM- sorry to hear you're having such a nightmare with BT. Obviously they don't live their old 'it's good to talk' motto anymore ;)

    Good luck for tonight, and I hope it goes successfully for you both.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. NTL are big, huge pants - rubbish.

    Sorry, but the beginning of your post made me chuckle - technology rocks, huh?

    Hope tonight went well.

    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine! I didn't even look at Anandtech today! :) Not that I had even finished reading all of the exciting articles! Phwoar! And what articles! ;)

    [deep breath] Calm down, calm down, getting over-excited at the thought of all that jaw-droppingly nifty technology now... Oh yeah...

    [cough] Moving swiftly on... ;)

    Thanks for your comments :) As you may have seen, I've now got around to posting up some of what I had been thinking about. In the mean time, you'll simply have to be patient as I attempt to bring y'all up-to-date by a couple of weeks ;)

    ReplyDelete