Friday, May 04, 2007

Star

This li'l guy fascinates me every time I see him.



He's so much brighter than the rest.

Whilst I love the stars and the sky, I know very little about them in general.

At first I wondered whether he wasn't actually a star, and was perhaps a planet. I pondered that because of how bright he was and how far across the sky he moves each night. But I dunno, I think he is a star. Obviously the camera struggles a bit ;) I included the li'l boxouts in the pic above to show my best efforts though :)

I remember that the North Star / Pole Star is the brightest (obviously I mean other than the sun ;) ), which I think was also the closest. What is that, Tau Ceti? But I wouldn't have thought it would "move around" so much ;) Well... I guess it makes sense... Look how much the sun and the moon "move around" so much :) (Obviously, perspective is everything :) )

Speaking of poles... M'learned colleages laughed at me today after I referred to a "polling station" as a "polling station" (to rhyme with "Poly") rather than a "polling station" (to rhyme with "Pole").

Humph. Oh well, live and learn :)

PS. As it just started playing... Nelly Furtado, All Good Things - I love this song at the moment :) The lyrics suck ;) But I love the song :) Can't help but sing along at the moment when I hear it :)

8 comments:

  1. I always thought it was Venus.
    In which case it's a 'she'. ;o)
    Might be wrong though.


    Zeb

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might be a way of checking:

    From Space Com, for Saturday 19th May, dusk to early evening:-

    The Waxing Crescent Moon passes less than 2 degrees north of brilliant Venus. This is a beautiful sight worthy of and well placed for photography. Two degrees is about four times the diameter of the Full Moon.

    If it's where this says it should be on the 18th, then your star is Venus.



    Zeb

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could also possibly be Sirius, the Dog Star, but I think Venus is more likely.




    Zeb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had wondered if it could be Venus.

    I'll have to see come the 18th, thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way that Nellie Furtado song has to be the most annoying song ever in the history of the planet! You love it?? There really is no hope for you ;o)



    Zeb

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I'm paying attention, I even know when to - and when not to - sing the "Come to an end, come to an- Why do all good things come to an end, come to an end, come to-" bit ;) But not right now, as it's a little too late and my mind's a little too roasted. Busy busy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chances are it's Venus, Mars or Jupiter.

    Due to the brightness and time of night, the only things visible at that time of night are generally planets.

    You should get a telescope!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you sure it's not Uranus?


    (well! come on! someone had to say it!!!)




    Zeb.

    ReplyDelete