Friday, June 30, 2006

I Like Simple

Simple is good. Simple is easy. Simple is understood.

I used to like making nifty things in my job (ok, that's things *I* thought were nifty - 90% of other people would be unimpressed ;), but they often ended up nifty, but complicated.
Since then, I think I've managed to make even the complicated (but nifty) things simple. It's much easier to work with simple things :)

I wonder whether life feels complicated because I haven't worked out how to make it simple yet.


I left work relatively on time today. My wife had the car today, so picked me up. I pulled her along to the park-ish bit nearby. I think it was still quite nice and sunny, but I'm not sure. I don't remember noticing.

She was feeling miserable.

She started on this extremely low calorie diet (again) last week. She keeps thinking its right right answer for her, probably because she lost about three stone on it a few months ago. Unfortunately, I don't think it really helps you change your "non-diet" eating habbits at all.
The other few times she's started it this year, I suggested she do so with her left over bits from last time - I said if she can do it for a few days or a week, she could go back on it properly. It costs like sixty quid a week, which is rather a lot. Of course, if it works, then it will make her happy, which makes it worth it.
I like saving my pennies (i.e. I'm a tight git ;), but I'm happy to spend them when there's good cause to do so.
Last week she started back on it "properly" (despite having not managed to do it on her own for more than about a day). I said if she really thought it might help to actually get back on the programme and go to the meetings then she could.

The diet basically involves not eating. If you've heard of the Cambridge Diet, it's pretty much that. If you haven't heard of that, but do know of Slim Fast, it's like that, only without the "real food" inbetween the "milkshakes".
Still not with me? Well, she gets given a whole bunch of "food packs", some can be made into soup, some "milk shakes". You have four of them a day. You eat nothing else. No snacking, no other meals, nothing.
Now I grant you, it's going to be pretty bloody hard for anyone to manage something like that, let alone people who love their food.
I've got rid of as much of my food (particularly snacky food) as I can. I even tried tieing up some of the cupboards and the fridge the other day with string to try to help her resist having a root around inside them!
I like snacking. I could really live on snacks, given the chance ;) (I weigh like nine stone, so there's no real option of me actually dieting with her) But still, I've done my best to get rid of all that I can, and not eat the rest in front of her.

She started last Friday. She was pretty positive all weekend, imagining herself getting to be whatever it is she feels she'd be happy with.
Come Monday, she'd snacked on a bunch of things that we had laying around the house, so was pretty pissed off at herself. But, it being the first week on the diet, she had a weigh-in Monday evening. She didn't know whether she wanted to go, but in the end she did. (I suggested she did - it might help to have people to talk to, etc.)
She had an evening meal when she got home, and said she'd go back to eating on the Tuesday. I suggested she sleep on it. She did. Not eating again Tuesday. I don't remember her being specifically negative or positive. Same on Wednesday.

...And we're back to today, walking along in the sun, her looking miserable. She REALLY wanted to eat today, apparently, and spent half the day trying to work out how she could eat in secret (so I wouldn't know and wouldn't feel let down) and without me knowing (Even when she tries that, I tend to have a knack for knowing exactly what's on her mind).

So she went out to the proper weigh-in this evening, hence my having some time. It was nice to relax and chill out and not do anything in particular :) And to put a film on. She doesn't like films, and that's doubly true for boring boyish films that I like ;) She's always telling me I can put a film on if I want, but then when I say I want to she always does something that shows she really doesn't like watching them. So I don't often even think about putting them on these days when she's around.

So I was feeling reasonably happy when she got home. I paused the film to talk to her. She was still down. She really wants to eat. But she also wants to lose weight. She went to bed after 5-10 minutes.
I finished watching the film. Started writing this.

She just came back down. Couldn't sleep. I made some small talk (I just read London is the second most expensive city in Europe - after Moscow. Just WTF is Europe these days?), before asking what was wrong. I think she said something sarcastic. Anyway, I wanted to say more tonight (I'd almost finished on the boring "day-to-day" stuff and was about to start on older stuff), but I'll go join her.

Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment