Friday, June 09, 2006

People, Blogger, Time, Respect

People are fantastic.

Blogger is fantastic.

I only wish I had more time at the moment.

Nobody I know in real life knows I have this blog. And that, for the foreseable future, is exactly the way I'd like to keep it.

This severely limits the time I can spend reading/writing my blog, the comments for it, and other peoples' blogs. I'm starting to suffer from lack of sleep now - almost every night this week I haven't even gone to bed until 1-2am, and then it usually takes me at least another 30mins to actually get to sleep. Awake again at 7, and after a while, I'm really starting to feel it. (I'm sure some people can manage on less - well, I need my sleep! :) )

But I have to say, there's so much I want in that short amount of time to read and say!

People talk about the Internet, and the freedom it brings people to publish whatever they want. I never really thought about that before outside of "information", such as news and facts.

But with Blogger, people are publishing... Themselves.

Two things - two people - took my times yesterday. I'm not sure in which sequence to mention them, so I'll mention them alphabetically :)

The first was AnnieSeed's blog, Anything but me, which I desperately wanted to post a comment to despite having absolutely no idea what it was I wanted to say (Sorry, I was absolutely knackered by the time I finished it, and probably making little sense).

The other was snow/Hanni's blog, Snow the Flakey Drifter.

Now, I'm going to be completely honest now. And I really hope I don't end up offending snow, because she sounds like a force to be reckoned with ;) But I want to explain where I started from, where I finished, and how I got there.
From the comments that snow had left on my blog, I had a poor first impression of her. Despite the years I have been using the 'net, and some of the gaming crowds I have been in with from time to time, I have always made an effort to type "properly". Even in chat, I continue to try to spell words correctly, use correct punctuation, and even capital letters! ;) (Although I do like my smileys)
if theirs 1thing that bugz me its when ppl use txt speak or 1337 speak and tink it r0x0rz bcuz most of teh time they know what they is doing but carnt be bovvered to write proply, and think it is coolio to right like this. O!!! AND SOMETIMES THEY RANDOMLY USES UPP3R CASE 4 NO REZON!!!!!11!!1eleventyone!!!!1!
Gah! I feel dirty now.
Snow's first post had a hint of "coolness" about it. (Oh God. I'm starting to sound like I wear Y-fronts, enjoy watching paint dry, and couldn't possibly wear my trousers lower than up to my neck)
--
Hey guy i am Hanni, i rekon you are like doing the right thing. Be kool guy, it will like work itself out now...:)
--
Now, it's not that bad in the grand scheme of things, but look at "guy" in there, and "cool" spelt with a "k". As I said to Dianne (my first "commenter") at the time, "following her first greeting/comment I was like totally 'I have no idea what to say to that' ;) But still, I started my blog to get different peoples' opinions, and she's a different person". I have to say, reading that back, I can't believe I wrote "I was like totally". How hypocritical am I getting.
But I meant what I wrote - she's not the sort of person I'd normally ask for an opinion on this sort of thing, and therefore EXACTLY the sort of opinions I was originally after!

This was shown in her last comment. Basically, snow asked why I wasn't angry with my wife, and why I didn't hit her (The short answer: Yes, sometimes I feel angry. No, it hadn't even crossed my mind to hit her).

But I went off and read the post in snow's blog about Donna (I felt mildly sickened by the bloke's over-violent reaction - I will try to go into some more detail about this separately).

Then I read her next post. And then the next one. And the one after that. And later I went back and I read all her blogger entries from January 2006 up to April 2006 (my eyes were giving up by then - I'll try to finish reading the whole thing when I have an opportunity).

And now, now I need to say "Thank you!" to blogger for giving people such an easy way to publish their thoughts and feelings.

But an even bigger "Thank you!" goes to snow/Hanni herself, for writing about herself and her life. I mean I made my original character judgement, and it is absolutely fantastic to just feel my opinion of her rising as I read.
So often these days, more and more, it's happening the wrong way around to me. I meet people, they create a good impression, and then they turn out to be a complete and total tit.

Hanni, I now have so much respect for you. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be wrong about you :)

3 comments:

  1. That's cool guy, i will try and like type slower and spell check..NOT!...haha

    We have one thing in common i rekon though, we both say it as it is.

    I can't believe you waded through that much of my blog! You need youre head read guy...haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps: my opinion of you is rising as i go along too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you're cool too (do I call you guy?). Will try to read Hanni's blog.

    ReplyDelete