Thursday, June 15, 2006

Relate - The Second Meeting

Following on from our initial visit to Relate at the end of May, where it was decided that Psycho Sexual Therapy was most appropriate for us, we popped ourselves down on the waiting list.

I've had it on my mind for a while recently that I should try to "mentally prepare" for that next meeting. What I mean by that, is to describe all the rest of that intensely intimiate and embaressing stuff that I haven't shared yet ;)
See, I bet you were all thinking that having sex once a quarter was bad enough, without finding out there's even more to it than that. I should also probably reread some of what I've written here at some point too. I can't remember whether I've gone into the background of how we met and what things were like then.

Anyway, all of that stuff's been on my mind (some of which we didn't tell the first Relate person), so it came as a bit of a surprise today when Relate called this morning to say "We've had a cancellation. Do you want to come along this evening?"

This time, this was basically another "initial" meeting, this time with a psycho sexual therapist. This means saying much of the same stuff as last time, and the PST (Psycho Sexual Therapist is just too much to keep on typing) can (dis)agree that you're in the right place.

Anyway, we went along and we said everything we had to say. Compared to last time, some things we said more of, other things we said less of. She asked different questions (they were in general of a more sexual nature), and perhaps had a greater understanding of some aspects, but a lesser understanding of others (a great example - having briefly talked about my wife's image of herself, to summarise something the PST said, "Well perhaps you need to lose weight before you start therapy or you might not be happy with yourself, and perhaps that could be a major reason" - oh right, sure, my wife hadn't ever considered that! We now consider ourselves on a path to true enlightenment).
Overall, the PST agreed that we did want a PST. So now we need to get put on (another) waiting list for a regular slot to appear, which may or may not be with the same person.
Overall, my wife and I agreed afterwards that we preferred the first lady we spoke to to the second. Of course, that could have been because she asked simpler/less embaressing questions ;)
The lady we saw today though did seem more like I was originally expecting, and did ask more questions directly related to the physical act of sexual intercourse between a man and a woman.

Sorry, I left that sentence deliberately cheesey ;)

One thing that I remember the person today saying was the length of time it can take for a problem like this to be sorted out - around six to nine months, I think she said.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you won't see this particular lady again (any time soon lol) and the waiting list will include a new person, someone you can both settle with. Let's hope.

    Regarding your last paragraph, that is one persons opinion, yes :)

    ReplyDelete