Friday, June 29, 2007

So what will the next two days hold?

So, I had literally just made it out of bed (I'd set an alarm for 9, but it seems to be 10 - why on Earth do they put the "Off" button like 2mm away from the "Snooze" button? Do they really think you have 100% accuracy when you're half asleep?) and into my dressing gown.

First thing to do before anything else: Call furniture place, find out whether I can arrange delivery for today.

My phone started making noise.

I figured I must have set an alarm, or left one turned on that I'd forgotten about, but it turned out it was actually ringing.

It was Mrs M, who is now on holiday with my parents in the Yorkshire Dales.

A few years ago, my Nan moved into a house just around the corner from my parents. If you walk along to the end of my parents' garden, then through the end of their neighbour's garden (the neighbour doesn't use that end of the garden, so was happy to take a couple of fence panels down to allow this), you arrive in my Nan's back garden. My Dad has run cables along all this route so that there are those motion sensing lights all the way along, so when you walk along at night, all the lights come on as you need them. He has also set up an intercom between the two houses so that they can talk to each other without using the phone. How cool is that?

My Nan has carers who come for a couple of hours most days a week that help her get dressed in the morning, etc. but most of the looking after of her is done by my Mum. Because of this, while they are on holiday (Nanny did not want to go), they had found a home to put her into for a couple of weeks.

My apologies if you have read this far and have had that sinking feeling building - as I often do when reading other posts similar to this - as it may not be quite as bad as you fear. She has had a stroke, and cannot use one side of her body. So far, this is all I know - the home had called my parents to tell them, but had rattled the phone number of the hospital off quite quickly, so my Mum hadn't written it down right, so they had phoned me to look up the correct number.

So, my Mum has already asked her cousin & husband to go over to the hospital (who live over that side of the country, so it's a little closer for them). I'm a bit further away (not 'far' in the grand scheme of things, about 1.5 hours) offered to go too, but they said "Let's wait until we know what's happening."

So it's now (10:55) about an hour since they called, and I still haven't heard anything new yet.

My Nan had a fairly big stroke a few years ago, from which she had mostly recovered, but there was still a bit of a disconnection between seeing something or someone and being able to actually recognise what or who it was. So, I've no idea what'll happen now.

If you were wondering (thank you), I'm feeling mostly ok at the moment, although I wish I knew what was happening, so I think it's time to chase someone...

** Update: 11:17. Apparently she can't use her right-hand side or speak. She is booked in for a CT scan. Off I go...

** Update: 11:20. My sister. It sounds windy. She is probably hanging out of the upstairs cottage window to get reception again. "By the way, if you were thinking of going home, Dad's double-bolted the door, so you won't be able to get in. And we don't have a spare key for Nanny's either."

5 comments:

  1. You're in my thoughts. It must be hard for you, being so far away from what's happening (or not happening). Let us know any news.



    Zeb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you and your family are doing ok.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you - hope your nan is doing ok

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you're ok and your family is coping. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys.

    Quick update for now. M25 pissed me about again, so it ended up taking 2.5 hours to get there rather than 1.5. By the time I'd showered and had something to eat and faffed around for a bit (I realised I was starving+smelly :-P) it was about 3pm by the time I left. This isn't as quick as I was expecting ;)

    So anyway. My parents have left Yorkshire and arrived here. I met them at the hospital after I'd been there about an hour. Or two. I can't remember. We left the hospital about 8:30 - she didn't really appear to recognise anyone, and nobody could do anything, so it didn't really make sense to stay.

    Soooo... She's not dead. (I'm allowed to say that; she's my Nan :-P)

    I shall try to keep you all updated.

    Thanks guys :)

    I hafta go now... I ordered pizza, and it juust arrived...

    ReplyDelete