Friday, November 17, 2006

We'll Chalk That One Up To God

Well.

That was a waste of an hour.

You may have guessed it did not go well ;)

Actually, it was arguably worse than that.

I found the place on Rightmove.co.uk yesterday, and ticked the "Send more details" and "Arrange a viewing" boxes. She phoned this morning and we arranged a viewing for 4:15.
"And could you e-mail me confirmation of that?", I asked.
She did so. The e-mail confirmed the time, and the name of the property.

I went back to Rightmove to check where it was on the map that was included under the property's details.

"I'll leave at 4", I thought, "Will probably only take ten mins to get there, and then five mins looking for it."

Well, I didn't count on the London Road traffic actually not moving. By 4:30 I had made it as far as "almost around the corner". My phone rang. I said I was "almost around the corner."
"Ah right," said the voice at the other end, "The person going to meet you is stuck in the same traffic, so she's not there yet either."
"Phew!" I thought.

It had been pretty dismal by the time I left work - it's been bucketing it down all day, so by the time I actually made it to the road it was just plain dark. I had a feeling as to which side of the road it was on (from the map, and the picture of the place). Drove up and down two or three times (and it's a long road) before I spotted a sign for it, on the other side of the road to what I had been expecting.
I was just turning in when my phone rang again.

"I think I've just got here. I'm next to a sign for it now. Has Whats-her-name arrived then?" (I was speaking to someone at the Agency, rather than the person I was actually meeting)

"Yes, she's been there about 15 minutes now, and she has another appointment to be off to soon."

I described what was around me.

"Oh. You're in completely the wrong place."

" ! "

"You're at the Sales & Marketing Suite. The actual place is further up London Road, about three miles away."

" ! ? ! But... This is where it was in the map on Rightmove, and I was never given any more information than that."

"Well, it's about three miles away, and Whats-her-name has another appointment to get to."

"Oh. Well, she might as well get going then, and we'll arrange another appointment. What about tomorrow?"
By then, I was concious of the fact that I was already going to be away from work longer than I had expected, and was thinking of the time myself.

"Well, I'll tell you what, I'll give her a ring and check."

Minutes pass.

"Yes, she's had to go on to her next appointment, and I'm afraid we're fully booked for tomorrow."

"Right. Well. I'll contact you if I want to make another appointment then."

So, as I said... That was a waste of an hour ;)

I checked the details I had available to me. Even now, I have no idea where this place is actually supposed to be, they simply haven't given me the information. I'm not convinved I'll bother looking at any more of the properties that they have advertised ;)

5 comments:

  1. thas a pig of a waist of time, you'll get one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer.

    *sigh*

    Maybe the next one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. What a pain. I am currently letting at the moment (no partner go 50/50 in morgage soul-selling). I can recommend Belvoir if they do anything near you - they've been good to me so far. http://www.belvoirlettings.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ing...

    I checked their site. They have an office south-west of us, and an office north-east of us, and a big blank spot in the middle ;)

    ReplyDelete