Wednesday, November 01, 2006

All Caught Up

See now, this is what I need :) Got no electricity during lunch here at work. Means I can finally force myself to concentrate on writing something here! :) (I'm writing this up in Notepad on my laptop in case you wondered at the logic there ;)

Actually, I had been meaning to write something last night (well, and for many nights before that, but particularly last night), but all of the time appeared to sort of disappear a bit :) Hmm... Can something appear to disappear? :)

Oh, looks like the power may be back already. Well, I'll just have to leave (Hmm, wrote "leave to have" the first time there - I do appear to be mixing my worms a lot when typing recently) my computer alone and turned off :)

As I (think I) mentioned before, we have another Relate session this evening - the first in 2.5 weeks.

But let's get y'all caught up on the bits I still haven't said. It's been long and I'm determined enough to get caught up, that I think I may even manage to come down from my usual level of perhaps too much detail :)
So, just to summarise the last Relate session I described, we didn't really figure which of the choices that we could come up with we should pursue - we pretty much eliminated the Psycho-Sexual Therapy, leaving getting some "space", or moving forwards into Couple Counselling instead.

So there was some irony that a couple of days after that we ended up having a bit of a snuggle that turned into a little more fun ;) Without going into too much info, I had a little fun, and whilst she felt she probably could have had some herself, she didn't really want the stress of having to "worry" about it (which I do understand, although it's also kind of a shame because I really miss it). In the... month I guess, since then, there have been a few occasions lasting two-three days where she has "thought" (said with a smile and a wiggle) about stuff, but nothing else. Yes, I know that where we are and the amount that's going on for both of us, that's pretty reasonable, but it's still kind of difficult not to get your hopes up sometimes. The last time we both had any "fun" together is still back in March, and I know the time before that was last Christmas, so I'm fairly confident that makes it twice over the last year now, which is by a long(ish) way the "slowest" year we have ever had in that regards.

Anyway, I digress. She decided she'd like to go visit her parents for a weekend. Her parents were free either "this weekend" or "next weekend" (relative to this taking place a month ago). I decided I'd like my sister to come over while Mrs M went to her parents, as I was already thinking about talking to her about stuff by then (as I said at the time). My sister works every-other Saturday, and she didn't work "this Saturday", which meant that Mrs M ended up seeing her parents "this week". It was a slight shame that the timing worked out like this, for two reasons - firstly, we'd just had our little fun together, and secondly, we wanted to think about what we our Relate-related decision before we actually got there. As Mrs M was off work at this time, she decided to make it a long weekend and went up Thursday night, returning Sunday evening.

My sister came up Friday night and went home Saturday afternoon (Mrs M and my sister weren't avoiding each other, was just how the timing had happened to work out). Got through a bottle of wine between us, and I an extra can of beer. For the amount I drink and my size, I was somewhat surprised I didn't feel all that drunk by then, but decided to make do and plucked up the courage to tell my sister that Mrs M and I were having problems. She listened well and was very understanding. As the person who knows both Mrs M and myself best, I think part of me was kind of wondering? hoping? that my sister may have been less understanding towards me. "You lot" ;) are understanding, but you have only my words to go on, so it feels [to me] like you have only half the story.

At the Relate session the next day, we decided to move forwards into Couple Counselling. Like I wouldn't have told you already if it were the other option ;) In terms of what to "bring" into Couple Counselling to talk about... The fact that I was thinking about moving out. Fortunately, the lady we were already seeing is indeed trained in that as well as Psycho-Sexual Therapy, so we didn't need to see anyone new or recount our histories again. Which was nice. :)

Skip forwards a week (that may be the shortest I have ever written about an entire week ;)) to our first Couple Counselling session (this is the last session we had, 2.5 weeks ago). Upon leaving, this was the most positive I have felt after having finished a Relate session so far. Unfortunately that feeling had faded after about an hour. But still, it was an interesting session.
I'd kind of like to go into more detail here, but I want to try to summarise still, or I'll (and you'll ;)) be here all day. We (my wife & I) spend a lot time in the same room. However, we were told to simply think about how we are interacting - are we doing something together, individually, or just sort of there with each other. Most of the time, it is probably the latter.
Was also interesting how we are each affected by the other's mood. When she is sad, I try to be happy to cheer her up. When I am sad but she is happy, she feels guilty about feeling happy (like it's just "rubbing it in", she said), so ends up also feeling sad. I have to say, it hadn't even occurred to me she thought like that. She admitted that when she is sad and I am happy, it does tend to cheer her up, so I found it strange she hadn't thought of that. It was suggested that we should each consider that we don't have to feel how the other is feeling, and it's ok to feel sad or it's ok to feel happy, etc.

Once it had all sunk in, I eventually felt kind of like we could both probably learn a lot of useful "tools" from Relate, that could perhaps improve things to a point better than they have ever been before... I am still not so sure whether that will be far enough.

Over the last couple of weeks, I feel there have been several times where I was unfairly irritated by things Mrs Monkfish did. I think there's an element there of no matter what she had done, I would have been irritated by it.

So, still been thinking about some space.

On Monday Mrs M had her first appointment with a counsellor/psychologist/therapist/person (I'm not sure what the differences are ;) regarding her depression. I gather it went well enough, and she has another session next week.

PHEW! I'm glad to get caught up. Err, even if it did take the best part of two hours. I don't think lunch break is quite that long... Anyway, as I said, I'd have liked to go into more detail on some, but then I wouldn't have ended up catching to as far as now, today.

So, perhaps I'll even write later on how tonight's session went ;)

9 comments:

  1. Appearing to disappear makes perfect sense. A certain gender (that will remain nameless) are very good at it ;~)

    Speaking of which, appearing to disappear is a very good definition for someone who seems to be signed into an instant messenger but who in fact, may be completely out of the house all together >;~) (Those are slanty eyebrows btw)

    Golly, good fortune with your present RT being able to continue :~)

    I believe it was the shortest you've ever written about an entire week (resists the urge to go and check)

    At the end of such a 'slow' year, there is bound to be some irritations :~) A busy time it sounds like at the moment, with good support and resources for Mrs M from RT and DT.

    Do you have all the support you need? I was glad to read that you told your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/magical+trevor+4/ Its the new MAGICAL TREVOR vid! If nothing else that should lighten the load on your mind for a few moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't felt in any of the posts that I've read that you've been slagging Mrs M off. On the contrary, I've felt that you've been very even handed about the relationship difficulties you're going through.

    I'm sure there's more that I want to say, except I've got to be in College in half an hour and I'm still sat in my jammies, drinking coffee.

    For what it's worth, I think both of you have a great deal of courage and your committment to each other is lovely to see. Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Dianne it's no good moaning about these things if you're going to go moaning about them when another certain someone just plain isn't actually on herself despite moaning about others not being on! ;) Phew. ;) I'm not sure that made much sense, but I'm sure the correct thought can be taken away ;)

    Yes, I think I have all the support I need at the moment. Although I should try to keep my sister a little more updated, having not REALLY spoken to her about it since then. She was interested in reading my blog, although I'm unsure how I feel about that. (I mean, she's my sister, I've written all about, like, 'stuff' here ;)

    Mind you, Mrs M also said last night she was perhaps interested in reading it now after all. Having said that, there could be an entire post there in itself ;)
    ---
    Well thanks for that Ing, you complete and total git ;)
    lol, actually, it wasn't that bad. Not as good as the original, and I was (just ;) able to resist the urge to go watch that ;)
    ---
    Thanks Roses. I do try to be fair in my descriptions, but, as I have said before, I am of course somewhat biased.

    Hope you weren't late for college :) (and that you had time to both drink your coffee and to change out of your jammies... If not, I won't ask which one you sacrificed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both boy and I think the 4th Magical Trev is not as good as the first one, which incidently we can sing off by heart.

    I did manage to drink my coffee, get dressed and be out of the house in time for my meeting with my tutor. One of the things you will learn about me is that I need to be warm. I don't know what the weather is like in your part of the world, but this morning it was cold and wet here. Leaving the house in my blue flowery jammies was not an option. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  6. True.... Apart from W & B it just *has* to be 'Kenya' though.

    http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/kenya/

    Never tire of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know this is IMs site and it's up to him to moderate it, but can I say, *Kenya* is just WRONG. There are no tigers in Kenya. Hottie muttered something about artistic license and the suspension of disbelief. I think it'll take her a while to get the gag off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, getting side-tracked and hijacking comments onto other subjects is just plain naughty, and you sure wouldn't catch me doing it, Roses.

    *whistles innocently*

    Especially, ESPECIALLY, if it's a comment directed to Ing.

    *whistles most suspiciously innocently indeed*

    In fairness, I'm not sure that Kuala Lumpur is often in disguise, either :) At least Patrick Moore does play the xylophone :)

    Also:
    Ing: I can't think what W&B is though!
    Roses: Yesterday was very cold, but I don't think it was wet. We did have to defrost the car windscreen though.
    I think it sensible to drop the questioning about your pyjamas, as you appear to suggest that you'd happily go out in them were it not cold or wet ;)

    (Having said that, my wife did have a pair of velvet ones that she really liked, and she actually did wear them out and about, although I feel I should point out that when doing that, she did not wear both halves at the same time ;)

    (Good job I caught that before submitting this comment!... First time I wrote that I missed the "not" out the last sentence! ;)

    ReplyDelete