Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Back to Random

I went food shopping last night. I quite like food shopping :)

For some reason it always feels like it calms me down. I do like to walk up and down pretty much every single isle though, even if I don't think there's anything I want down it. I mean it's nice to just walk a little further, and to make SURE there's nothing I want down it :) Well, or if there is but I thought there wasn't, the chances are I forgot to notice it anyway, but that's not the point ;)

Last week the supermarket was a little low on some of the old luxury items - such as, y'know, bread - so I ended up spending at least five minutes wondering what bread I wanted to pick up as all of the usual suspects were unavailable.
So I eventually chose "Warburtons Crusty" (White). Quite soft and fluffy and bready :) Was quite nice :)

So, yesterday when I saw (yet again) that the usual ones weren't available, I leapt straight in for the Warburtons Crusty again.
Now, it's been sitting next to me all morning as I've been working, with that lovely bready smell drifting up, tantalising and tempting me all morning :)

Well, lunchtime finally came, and I could rush off and make my sandwich :)

So I've got me nice fluffy white bread (and very nice and properly bready it is too :), with me Cathedral City Mature Cheddar, just a little pickle (Branston's, small chunks - squeezy, because it's more convenient for work) , and, I must confess, some ham.
The reason I feel the need to confess about the ham is that I only bought it last night with the bread - and (prepare yourselves for a sharp intake of breath in sheer astonishment) I only just opened a fresh packet of Pork slices of some sort yesterday lunchtime. Oh deary deary me, how naughty is that? ;)
But with that bread intoxicating my sense of smell all morning, I just felt much more in the mood for a cheese/pickle/ham sandwich than the pork stuff :)

Well, if it gets to the end of the week and both have gone off, I'll only have myself to blame ;)

3 comments:

  1. It was most pleasant, thank you :)

    I wasn't selling it, it was selling itself ;)
    The only tiny point I'd make about it is that whilst it was very nice bread, it wasn't actually what I would call "crusty".

    Fortunately, our local supermarket (well, the one I/we tend to go to) doesn't have a huge range of clothing (well, no clothes at all, in fact) or electricals.

    When we go to Asda (which tends to be less convenient, as from work, I'd have to drive past home to get there), even if it's only for a quick whip in, I am always wanting to look at all the electrical stuff and the clothes and everything and she's always having to keep me on a virtual tether to actually get what we came in for ;)

    Oh! My favourite supermarket impulse buy... A pair of walkie-talkies from our local Tesco.

    Bought them just before we went on holiday with my family a year or so back. She laughed at my silly boyish purpose at the time, but later had to admit, they were quite useful after all, actually ;)
    (e.g. helping to communicate from car-to-car, and when some of us went off the beaten track but others stayed behind)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love supermarket shopping. As Jen pointed out, the opportunities for spending are endless!

    But Branston Pickle? Euw. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never been inside a supermarket until i was 19 and i was shocked! We grow our own food at home and anything we need that we cannot grow, one member of our community goes to the city once a month to purchace.

    The range and smells were indescribable. You have not tasted our bread made from our own home milled flour, it is the best for taste and texture.

    Iona

    ReplyDelete