Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Yesterday

Strangely enough, had I not run out of time, I was planning yesterday on writing one post called "Yesterday" and another called "Today". Now I might end up with "Yesterday" and "The day before" :)

So, here was the summary (ok, I expected it to be a summary, it's now more like a "Day in the life of...") of yesterday:

  • Got up around 10:30, having been to bed far too late the night before
  • Stopped buggering about on the computer by about 12
  • Walked in to town (my wife had the car as she was at work) It's not too far into town (about 1.5 miles I think), but it's odd to walk instead of drive :)

Right, time to save this as a draft and continue later... Just got told asked to show something off in a company meeting... Which starts in 3.5 minutes time ;) Only need a couple of words, but best think work out vaguely what ;)

...Time passes...

Cool, we're all getting bonuses of "no less than 10% of your monthly salary" this month. lol, maybe I'll go spend some money now, hardly spent any recently ;) *cough*

I shall continue...

  • Got hair cut
  • Began my crazed high-speed wander around town. I really have to concentrate when if I ever want to "amble" around, and the more I relax the faster I tend to walk. This also has the unfortunate effect of meaning that because I zip around so quickly, I tend to remember things on one side of town I want on the other, so end up zipping from side-to-side ;)
  • Saw nothing of interest in neither Woolies nor Smiths. Forgot to go into Dixons somehow. Some of the TVs in the Sony Centre looked poorly setup.
  • Glanced at what places had the K800i in stock, to look forwards to when it arrives (theoretically today, but according to the order tracking page it suggested there may have been a problem), and to be pleased when it wasn't around as that clearly shows how new and exciting it is ;)
  • Was amused to see that the full size Master Chief from Halo was still in one of the games shops. Halo was one of the games I played over the weekend with my sister on her new computer. Was good for a laugh when trying to get my sister, Mum and Dad into a jeep together to come and attack me ;) My mum is terrible with that sort of thing ;)
  • Spotted the top (below) (didn't think about that being "top below" until much later - no pun was intended - for a change ;) in Burton for only £7! Was so pleased at seeing something I liked for under a tenner than I decided to look at the work shirts too. Failed to spot the price (could only see the "Buy two, get £5 off" sign - which suggested they were reasonably expensive), so thought I'd pick them up then find out how much they were. £18 each (so £15.50 after £5 off for two) - much more than I would spend on a shirt recently, but then I've not really been happy with the last few shirts I've bought, whilst I still quite often wear some I bought from Burton yeears ago when I started work - probably before I had fully developed my "How much!?" habit ;) Most of my work shirts are a single solid colour, but I've fancied a bit of a change recently for a more white-based affair. I don't wear a tie on a day-to-day basis either, but having a few more just to increase that agony of choice when I do wear one can only be... well, a pain in the arse probably ;)
  • Thought about getting some food. I've developed a little keenness for Subways recently, but decided I wasn't in the mood to properly appreciate such a crafted baguette ;) Burger King was just next door, and I decided I'd go for their Sweet Chilli Chicken Baguette. Was pretty hungry by then (having not eaten that day, and not had a proper meal in over 24 hours), but decided to wait until I'd finished my purchases before buying food after all - would be nice to chill at home with some nice food :)
  • Remembered most of my socks are juuust starting to develop holes, so bought 14 new pairs from M&S. How practical ;) Actually, that's the first time I've ever bought some socks! 26 years old and I only just bought some socks ;) I mean my mum tended to buy 'em when I was at home, and my wife bought a bunch for me for Christmas several years ago (hey, I wanted some ;), so I've never needed to buy any before.
  • Decided I'd go to Thorntons and buy some choccies for m' wife. I had a bit of a go (relatively) at her Monday night for having had takeout each night I'd been away... And then standing on the scales and looking unhappy that she'd gone up. I know it's pretty much an addiction, but it's just something I can't understand. I wish she'd either eat and not be bothered about her weight, or eat less and be happy. She was so so pleased earlier in the year when she was at her lightest since I've known her, and she looked better and felt so much better about herself. In near enough six months, she's practically back where she started, and I just don't understand that. I've said before, and still believe, that "sexy is a state of mind"... I just can't get her back into that state of mind. Anyway. As food makes her (temporarily, short-term) happier, I thought she'd like some chocs, and to try to say that if she does want to eat, then fair enough. Besides, it's not like you actually get many in those boxes ;)
  • Went back to Burger King and got my baguette and Oasis (didn't fancy anything fizzy, given I felt pretty hungry)
  • Figured I'd catch either a bus or a taxi (I couldn't be bothered to wait for a bus - normally if I wait for a bus I tend to end up walking along the stops until I see one) back home, but unfortunately, was completely unfamiliar with the new layout of things... Forgot to stop at the new bus station and didn't see where the taxis are now. So ended up walking all the way back home again, and because I was so desperate to get home, ended up walking even faster than my normal pace.
  • Was absolutely knackered by the time I got home and ended up going for a shower. Somehow managed to be less than like 20mins! (Probably because I couldn't have stood up much longer than that ;)
  • Was about 4:50 by the time I'd done in the shower and flopped back downstairs.
  • My wife got home and we chatted about her day for a bit.
  • Eventually got around to microwaving my (now cold, of course) baguette and having it for breakfast/lunch/tea at around 6ish.


PHEW! :)

Oh, and that excludes the Messenger conversations with my boss about taking something live before 9am this morning, so I got it done last night. Although that sort of thing probably helps account for the bonus ;)
Oh, and I tried to have a little nap at around 7pm for 30mins (I'm so hip ;) Felt fairly tired, but it turned out not really sleepy.

Ummm... and I think that's about it. Sorry, I hadn't really been meaning to go into QUITE so much detail, but it just sort of... slipped out ;)

11 comments:

  1. Excellent news about the raise-you must be chuffed IM! (sorry lol...I seem to call you IM, and then it makes me laugh because I suddenly think of 'Instant Messenger'.But it's kind of apt,you being a computer bod and all ;) hehe)

    Like Hanni-not sure about microwaving a baguette?? But to each their own ;)

    Did your wife like her choccies? And if it's any consolation at all.I think 90% of the western female population are like your wife with regard their relationship with weight/food.In fact, I'm exactly the same.My boyfriend has pretty much said the same thing to me: either enjoy your food, and don't complain, or do something about it.I'm not even overweight to be honest with you, but it's a sad reflection on today's society that so many women have issues with food and/or their bodies.There's so much pressure to be something we're not.But hey, sorry, got sidetracked there.Point of all that was to let you know, you're not alone.

    Re: the socks.Aw, that's really sweet!

    Re: HALO.oh my goodness, my OH would *love* you.He is obsessed with HALO,I think it's his all time favourite game (after Half Life, Half Life 2, Spellforce, Starcraft, Warcraft...etc etc.....). But yeah, made me smile when I saw HALO mentioned, and I don't even *like* the game lol.

    Ok, I'll shut up now, I've gone on a bit...

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look, that's two of you. I said bonus, not raise! :) I've just checked! ;) Twice now! :)

    It's been MONTHS since I had a raise. Perhaps as far back as May. ;)

    This name is an awkward one to abbreviate. IM does remind me of Instant Messaging, but it's the shortest ;)

    I was a bit chilly by the time it came around to tea, and really fancied it hot rather than cold. Ok, it was fast food, it probably only started life as "slightly warm", but I just wanted to flop and have some hot food :)

    Yes, she did like them :) There's never many in those boxes, but she gave me a couple and there was still one left at the end of the evening (which she said was also mine, but I'm not fussed :)
    I've tried to avoid the specifics of my wife's weight (I'm not sure why, just doesn't seem right), although we are talking fluctuations of more than a few pounds here.

    I've actually not played Halo that much, but it's quite a fun multi-player game with the co-operative vehicles, and simple enough to pick up.
    Warcraft 3 was a truely fantastic game (although I haven't played WoW) - as you know, I'm a programmer. We try really hard to polish our software, and Warcraft 3 was absolutely perfectly finished and polished - which is, unfortunately, unusual - but it meant I appreciated it that much more :)
    I'm not specifically "in" to any games at the moment, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) lol....sorry about that.How strange that we both got it into our heads that it was a raise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Firstly, Half-life rocks.

    Secondly (and with more bearing on your post) Subway? I am appalled. Seriously. Ick. I think I've turned into a food snob. Except that I haven't - I still eat pasta with cheese and ketchup..

    Anyway, congrats on the bonus!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bonus is rather like a sneeze, pleasant for the moment ~ lol ~ not to be ~ ahem ~ sneezed at.
    ~
    I think i'm with the women on the micro baguette.
    ~
    Chewy indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done on the raise!

    ...And you just reminded me how much Halo rocks. I'll probably get a XB360 when Halo3 comes out... (there goes what social life I have left)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok the *mumble mumble* was that you bought your wife some chocolates...!?

    Like, you just had a go at her for the whole take outs over the weekend thing and then....

    ....chocolates!

    Buy her some nice undies or some non smelly flowers or some fruit in a basket but treat her right and take it seriusley guy.

    Ok thas my unmumbled 2p worth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks :)

    ...Unfortunately...

    I knew that more bad food was the only thing, the only thing, that would have put a genuine, albeit fleeting, smile on her face.

    - Any sort of clothing will piss her off over weight issues, plus I have no idea what size she is again now.
    - Flowers... She'd have thought nice gesture, but it wouldn't have really made her smile.
    - Healthy food... Same as flowers really.

    Food... is the only thing I really have in my power to give her right now that will make her happy :(

    And I KNOW that that's counter-productive and detrimental to long-term happiness.

    But I wanted to do something that would make her smile :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. kk i hear ya, i really do and i don't want to like upset you ok but like are you making her happy and smile for her or cus it makes you feel better? (temporariley)

    You dont get it that you can't fix her, i hear the words come out of your mouth but you are stressed because you are trying to fix her, you can't guy no more then i could fix Ruth who i loved like so much she was my best gurlfriend and we talked about everything but she was whey broken and nothing i could do would have made a huge difrence she had to want to be fixed, like you told me yeah, got to 'want' to. Anything i did for her that made a difrense made me stressed to try and like keep it up yeah and i couldent, and i used to beat myself up when i couldent keep it up for her, i had to let it go and just encourage her yeah, but not fix her.

    I'm saying this as soft as i can and like i know its hard i do, i really do but what would happen if she needed to fix you huh?

    I just don't buy it guy, there would have been at least one other thing that wouldve made her smile.

    Writing her a poem or a letter telling her what you love about her or like leave funny things hid around the house like a treasure hunt. Whey better then chocolate. But like if you do still want to buy her food to make her happy...then dont have a go at her for the takeaways.

    Even when someone is genuineley not well yeah and stuck they can still be like controlling even when they dont mean to be, and you can still end up being the one who's controlled.

    I been there Mr Fish in a difrent way though.

    I can see a bit of the the pickel your in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Hanni,

    You said enough there to snap me back into sense. There's just times it's difficult to pick myself back up again to have the energy to find or do some of the other things.

    ReplyDelete