Thursday, August 17, 2006

Thinking

I keep thinking recently. About everything. I haven't really worked out what it is I'm thinking some of the time, and other times I just plain don't really want to write about it. Writing about some of it feels like it could make it more real, or potentially turn a tiny non-thought into a whopper.

But I did read something recently that really did sink through the surface layers of thought and hit me at a slightly deeper level. I'd been reading a thread in some forum about forgiveness. Not in regards to me or my situation, but in regards to someone else's.
As I think I have said before, I'm not particulary religious (I suppose the best way to put it is that I am not "God-fearing") (overall, I probably think of myself as averagely apathetic, although that is probably a bit of an exaggeration), and yet I found myself reading this thread about forgiveness in a Christian forum. I'd all but stopped reading it, when I just happened to hop back and look at it one last time.

Here is an excerpt of what someone had written:
It starts with a thought. No big deal there. It is not rooted in our emotions yet. Easy to deal with at the thought stage. Easy to put away. But a thought dwelt on turns into an imagination. Now here is where the emotions get involved. An imagination is a thought empowered by emotion. Now it is harder, because now you cannot have that thought without it stirring emotion. This is harder to deal with. And the more we dwell on it, it turns into a stronghold. Now it has a deep emotional root, and takes the weaponry of God to deal with.

Well, I'm not sure about the "weaponry of God" part, but I understood what he was saying, and it certainly made me think, and I thought I'd share it.
(Even although I think it's pretty unlikely the author will read it here, I hope he won't mind that I have quoted it - I suppose that really I should ask his permission or let him know, but... Well, I suppose I'm slightly guilty about quoting something from a Christian forum in a sort of non-Christian sense)

Oh well, that's one more thing to chew over :)

No comments:

Post a Comment