Friday, August 25, 2006

What's brown and sticky?

A stick!

Which is what I thought of when thinking about some of the comments to my last (significant) post. A healthy green stick can take a lot of bending before it breaks. And if things ever did get that bad, I suspect you'd have been bent enough to prepare for the *snap*

But, as everyone has said, communication is key. Key to straightening out and repairing that stick before it bends a bend too far.

The reason I made that post was that I got speaking (online) to a girl (whom I hadn't before a few days ago) who, after having lived a "normal life" (i.e. standard Western culture-sort-of-affair) for the last year, was returning to a life of seclusion, complete with an arranged marriage to a man she does not know.
Terrible choice to have to make - I imagine it was posed as a choice between which life to leave behind. I wonder whether the choices were equally difficult, or whether one seemed easier to just drift along with the choices made by others? I wonder whether she knew which one she wanted, and whether she chose it or not?
I think I can guess some of the answers to those questions.

Anyway, I could kind of see someone in that situation ending up in the place I described below, especially one forced to play the "obedient wife" role (hah, I'm not forced, I play that role by choice ;).
I remember having read somewhere before some sort of "Guidelines for a Married Woman". I can't remember whether it was actually a joke, or a serious set of "instructions" from the 50s or something. It was probably the former posing as the latter. Couldn't find them on Google though (gasp! My search was defeated!)

I hope she finds happiness though.

Anyway, several of my recent posts have had a number of interesting comments added that my regular audience (ooh, I have a regular audience! That sounds so cool ;) Thank you, people! :) ) may have missed. Partly because Snow/Hanni had been on holiday and then let go with her opinions when she read my thoughts ;), partly because I then answered some, and some from Iona, the girl who's gone to get married.

Back to Random - Wow, imagine never having been to a supermarket until the age of 19.

Buses - "Caustic" Hanni :) and a long(ish) comment back from me.

Balance - Iona made me think of those "Guidelines" I mentioned.

Zat's all for now. (I don't know why the silly "voice" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment